Brief History of
City Lights Boulevard,
beginning in 1950, the
has truly fostered the “Community” in it’s present name, Fairhill
Community Church of God. Sanford and
Clara Davis and their three children established the Children’s Home on
that year. In 1951, the church was
listed in the
yearbook as consisting of four members with a Sunday school of 12.
A new church
building was begun at 25th and
in 1952 and was blessed by numerous military personnel during those years, as
we are yet today. The first unit was
completed in 1953, a second unit added in 1954, and a basement for a new
sanctuary was constructed in 1957.
Wilson assumed the pastorate of the little group in 1957 and served until 1963.
The Children’s Home, which served as many as 35 children, was phased
out in 1960 after the passing of former Pastor Davis.
Many of the children left for the adult world, having grown up at the
Home. Others entered the Hospitality
House, another Children’s Home sponsored by the Presbyterian Church.
until 1969, Fred Mamalof pastored the church.
He had pastured in
prior to accepting the call to
. He was succeeded by Pastor Ramsey,
a retired minister, who served as interim pastor for several months.
In 1967, the
overflowed it’s banks and the church was badly damaged.
It was decided to move to higher ground, and two acres on Fairhill, over
, were purchased in 1973.
George Majors had arrived in
in 1969. At the time of his
arrival, the church numbered around 30, including the children.
One week later there were only ten, as many had waited for the Majors to
arrive before heading “Outside” for the winter.
It was almost like starting over! Pastor
Majors was instrumental in the securing of the property and construction of the
new building at it’s present location so that the church was able to meet for
the first time in November of 1973 at the new location.
In 1977, an
educational wing to the building was added.
This included 6 classrooms, and a one bedroom apartment.
In 1980, the
church had faith to begin a Christian school.
That Fall, Marilyn (Majors) Buchanan served as the first teacher and
principal of a kindergarten class of 10 students.
Since that time,
has grown to include students in grades K through 12, with a student population
as high as 225.
Pastor Majors resigned after pastoring at Fairhill Community Church of God for
16 years. He was followed by Pastor
Wayne McDonell and his wife Ruth, former Alaskans.
Pastor Dale Shillington, his wife Frankie and their three children came to
Fairhill. Under their leadership,
the congregation grew to just over 100 parishioners.
recent pastor, Ronald Payne and his wife Esther came to Fairhill in 1998.
Under his ministry, the church has seen as many as 300 in attendance,
with a regular attendance of around 240 worshipers. Under
Pastor Payne’s ministry, two services were established on Sunday mornings to
accommodate the growth in worshipers. He
resigned in August of 2006, accepting a call to a church in upstate
, near the area he grew up.